Monday, July 07, 2008

Wimbledon, Men's Final. Silverstone. Journey's End.

(Picture from www.wimbledon.org/)

Back to back they faced each other, drew their rackets and aced each other!

Rafa won! That was a fantastic final, full of excitement. I thought it was over in the third set. Rafa had taken the first two sets, 6-4, 6-4, and he was 4-5 in the third. He was playing just a notch better than Roger, so I thought he would break Roger and go onto win. But - dun dun duuuuun - rain delay! The third set went to a tie breaker. Roger turned on the tennis magic to win the breaker 7-5. The fourth set, littered with championship points for Rafa, also went to a tie breaker, again won by Roger, 10-8. At two sets all, 2 games all and 40-40, another rain delay. After about 30 minutes they resumed play.

After a really tough battle royale, Rafa took the fifth set 9-7. I think at the end of it all, after climbing to celebrate with his family, then taking a jolly jaunt over to the Royal Box, Rafa was a bit shell-shocked. But, I think, the better player won.


(Picture from www.bbc.co.uk/sport)

Yay! Louis Hamilton did go on to win at Silverstone. From a starting position of fourth, he jumped to second spot from the starting line, then overtook Heikki Kovalainen on the fourth or fifth lap, and led for the remainder of the race. 'Twas an incredibly interesting race in wet conditions.


(Screencap from time-and-space)

Now. Doctor Who. Journey’s End. Not sure if I enjoyed it, or if I was a little disappointed. It had the making of a great episode, it wrapped up all loose ends, but it seemed a little too convenient. However, there were some fantastic components. The threefold man idea was complete genius. It also provided a reason for Donna’s repeated comment ‘I’m only a temp. Catherine Tate completely out-acted David Tennant, and I’d go so far as to say she was amazing. She nailed the quick talking explaining Doctor trait perfectly, though Tennant mimicked her quite well too. Dalek Caan, what a twist! Davros, too, was brilliant. Unfortunately, the cameos from everyone else seemed to fall by the wayside, seeming all pretty pointless.


I do have more to say, but I wont, for fear of spoiling it for peeps yet to watch it. All that’s left to say is – there’s a Doctor-shaped hole in Saturday evenings that needs to be filled!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,at the start of yesterday I wanted Nadal to win.Style of play,passion,etc etc gave him my vote.Strangely though as the match went on I was rooting for Federer.Although the better man on the day won it did show what a great champion he is.To fight back earned him a lot of respect in my eyes.Having said that well done to Nadal.

Really glad Hamilton won,hopefully that will shut some of his critics up.it totally pees me off that we are a nation who cannot wait to put somebody down instead of supporting them.After all he is a young lad in only his second season and has allready achieved more than most(monaco,Silverstone and nearly taking the title in his first season)and it's not enough.Think we should stop this backlash against our sportsmen and start having a pop at so called experts and journalists.

Doctor Who,sort of enjoyed it but to be honest still don't get it.Can't seem to get past hiding behind the couch when I was a kid.Tom Baker is Doctor Who,at least in my warped mind!

Still can't bothered to do any work,need motivation and quick.Hope the day school gets my juices flowing.

Ally said...

I think it was going to be a battle for either of them to win yesterday. But I had thought that Nadal had played the better of the two throughout the tournament, and after the comprehensive ass whooping he dished out to Federer in the French Open, I thought he'd get Wimbledon this year. But chutzpah to Federer, he gave Nadal a match and a half!

I agree with you about the press and British sports peeps. They are looking for a hero, but when one comes along they put so much pressure on them that if they fail to produce makes them an antihero and enemy of the state. Completely ridiculous. They'll do it to poor Laura Robson now that she has won junior Wimbledon.

Aye, TB is the best Doctor ever. I completely agree with you. He has, and always will be, my Doctor. Tennant makes a good substitute though!

I've started tundling into the TMA, got 100 words down for the intro. I'm getting a bit antsy about Don Juan though. I understand it (I think) and I can see how it has been put together, but as we're not having a DJ tutor group session, and as I can't get to the day school, I'm just a little worried about Theme C, as it is not worked through in any length in the block book - it states that the section would be saved for tutorials. So bugger! Will have to interpret on my own. Having said that, it looks all rather straight forward, everything to answer the question is in the DJ unit. Happy days! it's Just writing the damn thing now!