Saturday, July 05, 2008

Wimbledon, Day 11


(Picture from http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/home/)

Well, it's the final everyone knew would happen. For the third year. *Yawn*

Roger Federer
saw off Marat Safin, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4. I was hoping that Marat would find his best form and beat Roger but, as usual, he was far too strong for poor Marat. I suppose a semi-final was more than Marat had expected, so he's probably happy with his performance.

Rafa Nadal saw off Rainer Schuettler, 6-1, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4. After the first set I thought 'yep, there's not going to be much in this match'. I am so glad that Schuettler proved me wrong. It's just a pity he couldn't keep the break he had in the second set to take the set from Rafa. But hey, he did more than I though he would, and gave Rafa a good run for his money.

Laura Robson made it into the girl's singles final. Well done her! I'm hoping she goes on to win the junior Wimbledon title.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ,apart from the naff retro jacket think RF has been looking for fashion tips.
Stereotypes spring to mind.Fed= cool,precise and focused a bit like Michael Schumacher(German not Swiss I know)Then Nadal=passion,show emotion more like Ayrton Senna so spanish/brazilian vs German/swiss.Hmm cultural stereotypes?

Ally said...

Hmm, but Federer isn't a cheating scumbac like Schumacher! I hated watching him race, he'd do anything to make sure he win the race. Now, that can equate to focus and determination, but when it was reckless, well, that's just plain out and out dangerous cheating. Just like Alonso. Some of the stuff he does on the racetrack is just a little reckless too.

Ally said...

Meant scumbag, have no idea what a scumbac is!