Monday, July 21, 2008

"He needed that like a thrid armpit!"

Just one of the fantastic commentary quotes that made me laugh out loud whilst watching the MotoGP last night. Well, I'd put in the work watching the qualies the night before, so I thought I might as well watch the actual race. And my oh my! What a RACE!

The first few laps consisted of Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi in an absolute dogfight for first place. They completely blasted away at the front and didn't let anyone else get a look in. It was hair-raising, breathtaking stuff!



The jostle for the lead ended up with Rossi taking the front, but Stoner was always on his back wheel. Until eight laps to the finish line. Stoner attempted to overtake Rossi but Rossi pushed him wide. Stoner slowed just enough not to take them both out, but had to lay off the breaks to stop himself crashing, only to drive into the gravel and mini-crash anyway. He was still far enough in front of third place man Chris Vermeulen to stay in second place after he picked the bike back up and rode back onto the track. It was Rossi's first win at Laguna Seca. And James Toseland didn't do too bad, getting 9th place.

I've not ever enjoyed a race as much as I enjoyed this one. I think the commentators also helped though, because when I wasn't on the edge of my seat I was crying with laughter. All in all, a damn good night!

The good news came in the form of F1 though, as Lewis Hamliton won the German Grand Prix. That means he leads the championship, four points ahead of Felipe Massa and seven points ahead of Kimi Raikkonen.

Yep, I've a weekend of sports, I even watched Padraig Harrington win at Royal Birkdale, and I don't watch golf!

No comments: