Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Oh, so very tired.

I wish I hadn't asked my Dad to wake me this morning before he left for work. But I had to make sure I would get some writing done. I was quite pleased with what was written over the hour I could concentrate. Then I put the book down, snuggled back into bed and sort of drifted in and out of sleep for an hour before Principessa woke up smiling.

I think I should be on target for the 10,000 words this month. Over last night and this morning I scribbled down just under 1,100 words. So to reach 10,000 I have just over another 1,100 to do over the next three days. I'm feeling quite confident at the moment, but I'm sure that will change (it's inevitable when you are an optimistic pessimist!).

It's surprising where this story is taking me. When I was planning I knew I needed to have some way of introducing a plot device - at that time I didn't even know what the plot device was - and I was having some trouble. Last night, while writing, it just introduced itself with no prior warning! (Thinking about it, that is a lie. The plot device had previously been introduced, though I didn't know until last night that I would use it for this part of the story.) It sounds silly, as if I had no choice in the matter. I suppose I didn't. It was a necessary part of the story, and the story took care of itself, making sure that the things that were needed had been included.

I had always wondered about this phenomenon when reading how other writers described how some parts of a story just write themselves, of how a story could take on a life of its own. I was very suspicious of this, thinking that they were just working to a plan and making the writing process sound more fantastical than it is by saying such things. Now I realise why it hasn't happened to me sooner. I didn't believe in the intrinsic rules of writing, of trusting that the part of me that is my muse would take care of important little details such as plot devices if I just let it run free with the pen and paper. I'm glad it has happened, as it was something that I had to learn.

Day 26: 669 words
Day 27: 424 words (so far. I'll still do some more writing before I go to sleep tonight.)

No comments: