Friday, November 30, 2007

Approaching 10,000 words and the stupidness of PC

I'm nearly there! Just got about another 70 to write, and I'll have hit my goal! Yay me! I am feeling quite satisfied with myself for getting this far. Now I have to set my goal for December.

December writing goal: 10,000 words @ 325 words per day.

I think I may better this, as I am sure I could get about 500 words per day on most days. Let's hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that!

Well, enough of my self-praise (it's not often I get to do that though!). I ended up watching a program called 'This Week' just before I went to bed last night. I wish I hadn't, as it stopped me going to sleep. It set my mind off.

The section of the program that I caught had singer Katie Melua talking about immigration and integration. Some of what she said was quite true . The English government (not really the rest of the UK) are stupidly aggressively politically correct (PC), causing the identity of England to be pulled out from under us. Just because the government do not want to offend other cultures, England has had to relinquish its culture. How dumb is that? The Irish, Scots and Welsh are fiercely proud of their culture and heritage, and they make a point of how important it is to them, but recent years have seen practices of the English almost outlawed. We are allowed to openly celebrate St. Patrick's Day, the Irish Saint's day, but the English have to fight to celebrate St. George's Day. It's seen as an insult for us to put the flag of St. George up, as we might offend other cultures. I see that as an offence against our own culture.

I remember when I was younger; it was not a crime for a school to put on a Nativity play. But now schools, and even workplaces and churches, are seen to be causing offence to other religions. Okay, so I am not particularly religious, but the Nativity used to be a big part of Christmas tradition, and contributed to some of the magic of Christmas when I was a child. How wrong is it to steal that tradition from our younger generation? We also used to celebrate Mayday with dances around a Maypole. I haven’t seen that practice for a long time. I haven’t seen a school fete around here for ages, another part of the Mayday celebration.


How can people who come to this country be expected to integrate into the society if there is nothing there for them to use as a starting point. Afternoon tea and scones is not enough of a start. What is the point of pussyfooting around people who enter our country, by respecting their culture, if we haven’t got a culture for them to respect? This country, even for all its good points, is a farce thanks to the government.


(By the way, I do not support the BNP, too extreme for me. I sit and shout at the TV, and that’s as far as my politics go. Well, and now here too.)


Blah!


Day 28: 542 words
Day 29: 299 words
Day 30: 84 words (so far)

No comments: