Tuesday, August 05, 2008

There is no (60s) spoon!

(Pic from www.ew.com)

So, I was reading some of the 60s stuff last night, mostly the bits about periodisation, and whether the 60s can be identified as a specific period of history. One of the exercises was to read an excerpt from a book about 60s counter-culture, see below. Now, apart from actually mentioning the word 'matrix', it almost reads like some sort of deconstruction of 'The Matrix'.

[...] But from my own point of view, the counter culture, far more than merely ‘meriting’ attention, desperately requires it, since I am at a loss to know where, besides among these dissenting young people and their heirs of the next few generations, the radical discontent and innovation can be found that might transform this disoriented civilization of ours into something a human being can identify as home. They are the matrix in which an alternative, but still excessively fragile future is taking shape. Granted that alternative comes dressed in a garish motley, its costume borrowed from many and exotic sources – from depth psychiatry, from the mellowed remnants of left-wing ideology, from the oriental religions, from Romantic Weltschmerz [agony over the state of the world], from anarchist social theory, from Dada and American Indian lore, and, I suppose, the perennial wisdom. Still it looks to me like all we have to hold against the final consolidation of a technocratic totalitarianism in which we shall find ourselves ingeniously adapted to an existence wholly estranged from everything that has ever made the life of man an interesting adventure.

If the resistance of the counter culture fails, I think there will be nothing in store for us but what anti-utopians like Huxley and Orwell have forecast – though I have no doubt that these dismal despotisms will be far more stable and effective than their prophets have foreseen. [...]

From Theodore Roszak, Preface to The Making of a Counter Culture (1970 edition)


I love the matrix line - "They are the matrix in which an alternative, but still excessively fragile future is taking shape." I really like the idea that the counter-culture is the matrix, rather than the society that the counter-culture is opposed. It makes me wonder if the Wachowski brothers had read this passage, because it really does fill your mind with fantastical ideas!

I think I must be going mad! This is what happens when you study in the dead of night... Things become something else! 'There is no counter-culture!'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh,I like that,never saw the comparison myself.Sure you are not sat up all night with a oversize reefer?
My days of following timothy leary seem to be over.Rather than "turn on,tune in,and drop out" I appear to have turned off.Maybe I need to re-invest in a bong to help me with A215 or move to Amsterdam.
Interesting what you say-"there is no counter-culture" Don't know how you meant that,but i am beginning to think that's true.seems to be an almost catch-all phrase that was used.having said that I haven't finished the block yet.

Ally said...

I've hardly scratched the surface of the block, only about 30 pages in.

I need no reefers! I see tenuous links in most things. I think I began developing that skill when I started writing alternative lyrics to songs when I was in school (my fave alternative lyric was 'The One and Moley' by Chesney Hawks, about Charlie the Mole!). And I suppose pop-up video - that show that used to be on VH1 in the 90s, also helped me hone the skill! Ooohh... and here's another tenuous link... is Chesney Neo? After all, he does say he is the One!

I think I'm just in the Matrix zone today! Now I'm off to play match the coloured blocks....