Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wimbledon, Day 3. And other stuff.

It was a disappointing day, yesterday. Elena Baltacha could not build on her battling victory of the first round. She went under to Zheng Jie (CHN), 2-6, 5-7.

The big news of the day was the unceremonious dumping of Novak Djokovic. Former world number one Marat Safin bossed the game completely, not allowing Djokovic any foothold in the match. To be fair, Djokovic seemed rather out of sorts, but I haven't seen Safin play that well for a long time. I'm hoping he can keep this form, I like watching Safin play.

The tennis took a back seat to my tutorial in the evening. It was nice to meet the tutor, even though it seemed he didn't realise Kirst was there for the tutorial too. I think he thought she was my helper. Oops! But other than that oversight, he seemed to be a very good tutor, sooooo much better than the first tutor we had. He was able to start a debate about masculinity and femininity, and how they are contrasted within the works we are studying for Block 5. It was a big help going to the tutorial, and being able to throw ideas around with others. It really helps in shaping my own thoughts, and focuses me to get down to the work. That maybe why my Wallace essay was so bad. I didn't have that focus. I just wish there was a tutorial for Don Juan, as that was overlooked in the tutorial last night. Ho hum, will have to muddle through that one on my own. (I did sit down and listen to it properly last night, but I couldn't shake the image of a dandy with sparkly teeth skipping and jumping around lush green hills every time the Don Juan strut section happened!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed it Ally,although I have no comparison I really enjoy the tutorials.I find them really helpful,like you say it's good to bounce ideas off other people.It looks a definate for medea and Pyg for me,seems to be plenty to work with.Got a feeling this one is going to be tricky.Having said that we allways think that.Oh for the confidence youth brings eh!
Do you think you will make the tutorial on Sat 12th?

Ally said...

I don't know, although I'm hoping to. I've lost my book too, so I don't know what the timetable is. Is there a Don Juan tutorial at the day school?

I feel like I'm taking a bit of a gamble with attempting Don Juan. I'm almost tempted to stick with Pygmalion instead, but I just couldn't pick many tidbits out of it. Whereas I think there is an over-abundance of them in Medea. But at least the tutorial last night gave me the confidence to question my own thinking, if you know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

Ha,you are braver than me! I stick with Pyg and Medea.The wayn I see it is 250 word intro and conclusion.Which gives 500 words on each play.Assuming that I look at Higgins and Eliza and Medea and Jason,that's 250 per character which seems ok.Well perhaps short,will need to tight with comments.Also trying to back up my comments with minor characters.Think it will be tough to stay within the word count.

The day school is as follows:

10.00 Intro
10.15 Don Juan
11.30 Pygmalion
13.30 Pygmalion(different)or WSS
14.45 WSS or Medea- both workshops

Obviously with breaks/lunch etc.

Found the last one helpful so hoping for more of the same :)

Ally said...

Hmmm, well I might see if there is any possibility of getting there for the morning. I definitely want some sort of Don guidance!

Do I have to RSVP-kinda thing it?