Saturday, September 20, 2008

Of wardrobes and cathedrals.



Today, I took Principessa (with Grandand's help) to the cathedral to see the Prince Caspian 'experience'. The first stop was face-painting. She was really looking forward to that part, and becoming a tiger! Then we had a wander round, and Princi did some little craft-type things. Upon further wandering, Princi wrote a prayer-balloon, and then we sat and watched a little puppet show after we finally found Aslan. The picture doesn't do the Aslan statue justice at all, it was beautifully carved.

I have to say, I was in awe of the cathedral. I've lived most of my life in Liverpool, and today was the first time I have ever stepped foot into the cathedral. It is vast and impressive and imposing all at once. The stained windows are absolutely fantastic. I just wish I had full use of my legs so that I could explore the place fully. It really is breath-taking architecture.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does look impressive I must say.It's so easy to overlook the things on your doorstep.I went to the Walker art gallery a few weeks ago-for the first time!pathetic of me it really has some great "stuff" there.Spend most of my time dreaming of the Musee d'orsay,Louvre and Musee Rodin.While the Walker perhaps is not quite that good it is still worth a visit nonetheless.Plus of course the museum is very good.Full disabled access at the Walker.
Is the grass always greener?

Ally said...

I haven't been to the Walker for years, but we went to the museum for Princi's birthday last year. I've always loved the museum. I loved going there when I was a kid, especially the Egyptology exhibitions. Unfortunately, when I went last year it just didn't seem as good. There used to be a great space section there that's gone, even the Egyptology section didn't seem as big. Maybe it's just that I've grown up and my perspective has changed - though not changed due to height as the wheelchair makes me about as tall as I was then!

Anonymous said...

Ha,strange but true,I used to go as a kid and loved the space and Egpytology sections.The mummies they had there sent this little only child off to his own private world for ages.
Lightbulb in my head,have you ever been to the Natural History Museum in London?Now that is somewhere I could spend days.

Ally said...

London is a no go at the moment! Maybe when Princi is a bit older and better behaved! But no, have not been to any museums in London. I am still planning to leave Princi with Grandand and take a day trip to France to the Musee d'Orsay at some point though. I need a new perspective, and to observe somewhere different without a whippersnapper around the ankles!

Anonymous said...

Sure it must be difficult,not sure how you manage-i know I would have had a nervous breakdown.

Paris,awesome.Dirty,skanky,rude yet somehow beguiling.Musee d'orsay must be fantastic.desperate to see Degas pastels of the ballet dancers etc.Also it has Eduard Manets Olympia which caused quite a stir at the salon.

Off to Manchester now,Have a chilled evening.

Skippy said...

Aaww how cute does she look? How exciting. I love the cathedral. It's beautiful. I wish you could go up the tower coz the view from there is AMAZING.

Ally said...

Me too. You'll have to take some photos for me ;D