Friday, January 11, 2008

And the bed nearly folded me in half!

Well, kind of.

I had to go to a disability place called Lifehouse today. They had asked me to go to try out a profile bed. That is a bed that rises, has an adjustable backrest, and the bottom bit rises up just under the knees so that your legs are a little more comfy. Well, 'twas strange. I've agreed to them providing me with one, but it will take some getting used to. I know it will be of benefit in the long term, but I really don't like all this motorised stuff.

While I was there they had me try a spring seat. It didn't help because I haven't got enough mobility to allow it to begin to lift me up. They also tried me with this belt hoist that is supposed to help my Dad when lifting me. If I had more strength in the back of my legs and around my knees it might have helped, but as I don't it didn't.

It's not very nice, not knowing of things that can help with transfers and stuff, and it makes me feel quite bad when someone suggests something that I know wont work. I feel bad when they suggest something that might work and I have to say "Yeah, but it would only work in conjunction with ...". I feel like I'm being ungrateful or reluctant to help myself. Harrumph!

One thing I can say, Principessa was absolutely fantastic while we were there. We found a box of toys in the reception that we took into the test room, so while I was trying things out she lay on the floor and played quietly with the toys. Just as we started getting ready to leave she put the toys neatly back in the box and said "It's time to go home." She is just brilliant. I would love it if she would tidy her toys up at home, though!

No comments: