Monday, April 21, 2008

Rousseau before bed = weird dreams

So. I have decided that it is not worth wasting all my time trying to write (though I should really say writing. There is either do or do not, no try) TMA04, and have started reading the Rousseau section of block 3. Big mistake. Not because I don't understand it (once you get into it, it's okay), but because it sets my subconscious off on one while I am sleeping.

  • Implicit assumption: Rousseau before bed = weird dreams.
  • Premise 1: I read Rousseau's thoughts on legitimate authority versus naked power (that can conjure interesting, yet disturbing, images even before sleep!) before I went to bed.
  • Premise 2: I had weird dreams about men with guns kidnapping me and some friends, not wanting them to drill through my head, so doing what they said to save myself and my friends because they now had guns and drills and therefore had naked power over us.
  • Conclusion: So reading Rousseau before bed gave me weird dreams.
All through the dream it was a constant struggle to do what the men said to stop them from drilling my head ('Is it safe?' now echoes in my mind!), while trying to find a way to escape, therefore disobeying their instructions. More and more people seemed to end up being kidnapped and sitting with me. Somehow or other, the men and their threats became tolerable, though we were still making plans to escape. We finally got our chance when they went outside to a small brick building to sleep. It was still worrying because if they hadn't gone to sleep they could see us trying to escape through the open front door (this is how cruel my mind is; the door was open so we could see our deprived freedom). Just as we were about to make our escape, the children ducking down and out through the front door, the adults over the fences of the back gardens, I woke up.

I hope this doesn't happen every night I read the Rousseau section. Or maybe I do. It might provide some useful ideas for stories. It's also nice to know that my brain is trying to work at some level to make sure I understand things, even when I am asleep!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flippin 'eck Ally,you jumping ahead again and making me paranoid.Intended to work hard all day but don't feel up to it.Going to miss tonights tutorial also but at least we have to the 2nd May till it's due.Daft question but when you do the online version of this course do you get to go to tutorials and the day schools.Went to one at Manchester Met and found it quite useful.
Btw dreams,can't go there,mine are so incedibly surreal it's like a Dali painting!

Ally said...

I'm not doing the online version. I've been to a few tutorials, though they haven't been very helpful. I really wanted to go to the day school at Manchester Met, but didn't have anyone who could look after Principessa. I also had no transport.
Did you get many notes from the day school?

Anonymous said...

Didn't get many notes,two sheets I think,it was more the lecture coupled with the notes that helped.Not altogether sure the few notes alone would be much help.However i will try to scan what i got and post them to your facebook page or an e-mail if you prefer.I find the tutorials ok,the best bit is being able to bounce ideas off other people and get their interpratations of things.Kind of the same as we do online!

Ally said...

Thank you, much appreciated :) My email addy is allytresidder@hotmail.com