Sunday, March 30, 2008

Now think about this...

So, after I blogged about 1,000 true fans here, here are the bits that I didn't think about. It's interesting when you get blinded by an idea, how you become completely unfocused on the actual practicalities of how to achieve it. It's a good job there are people like Scalzi around to remove the blinkers.

I have done my glads and Colosseum assignment now, thank Spartacus! I am almost sure there are areas that I could improve, and other points I could include (using the Pliny bit, and mentioning how gladiators and gladiatorial shows were important for senators and Emperors for currying favour with the citizens and for keeping them on side generally). But hey ho, I'm kinda happy with it, I'm just sick of looking at it.

In sports... James Toseland is still doing well in the MotoGP, fixing another 6th place today at Jerez despite being ill. In other bike related news, the British team is doing fantastically well in the World Cycling Championships, having already secured 9 gold medals. Woohoo!

Tennis... Well, Andy Murray is pretending to be a deflating whoopee cushion. He was ousted from the Miami tournament by Mario Ancic. Ah poop!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ally,slowly getting there with the glads,bit worried about wandering off the question when talking about the shows.Although it does appear that the colosseum shows and what they entail are closely linked to perceptions of the glads.Just hope my tutor agrees!Struggling a little with the christian viewpoint ie.they watched the shows but its a pagan ritual.ok they used them as a marytr type event and many had no probs integrating it into their belief structure.Just can't to write that bit coherently!Glad you have finished but Spartacus-you have lost me!

Ally said...

Hiya,
The Spartacus thing wasn't really anything to do with the assignment, just my saying thank Spartacus instead of thank God!

It wasn't just the colosseum shows, it was all the glad shows, and I agree. You can't talk about the glads without talking about the games as they were almost one and the same. I didn't go into the Christian views, it hadn't even crossed my mind to put that bit in! Now you've made me think! ARGH!

I concentrated more on the glads role in society - basically that they were slaves and abominated, but treated like heroes and adored because of their attitude to combat and their noble acceptance of death in the arena. Yes, I managed to stretch that out to 907 words!