Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Woohoo for Moffat!

OK, so this is no slight on RTD, after all he did bring the Doctor back to our screens and made Saturday nights good again (for thirteen weeks of the year!), but I am so glad that Steven Moffat is taking over as head writer for the next series. The episodes he penned were fabulous. So chuffed!

I went to see Iron Man with Laura last night. What a fantastic film. I was disappointed when Robert Downey Jr was cast as Tony Stark, but I was pleasantly surprised. I love the fact that Stan Lee still has to do his Hitchcockian style cameo. Twas good fun!

I've also been taking a break from studying. I needed to sit down and just read a book that didn't need careful perusal. So, after ditching Un Lun Dun - it just started to drag and drag - I decided to read The End Of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas.

First thing to mention about this book; it is, for want of better words, deliciously Goth in its appearance. It has a lovely deep to bright red cover and the edges of the pages are black. It gives the book a little extra something.

Second thing to mention; it reads as if it was written by someone who had done a humanities degree comprising Literature and philosophy. Sometimes it feels like it should be a course book. The story itself reads like a thought experiment, but that only makes it more interesting to read. I'm not too sure about the main character though, and it does seem a little lack in characterisation. There are lots of infodump occasions too. Other than that, it is holding my attention.

So I shall go now and finish reading it. And then I will read over my TMA one last time and get it sent off. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back as a fail.

No comments: