Friday, May 09, 2008

Of frogs and assignments


I started reading the biography of Alfred Russel Wallace last night. I was hooked by the first few lines, but tired eyes and a need for sleep resulted in me having to put the book down not long after I had started reading.


(Image from Encyclopaedia Britannica)

Nonetheless, what I had read started my brain ticking. I went to sleep reminiscing about frog hunts, how excited my brother, sister and I would be when we saw that the frogs had spawned in the rain-filled Belfast sink that sat in the back garden. We were completely enthralled with watching as the tadpoles first sprouted back legs, then front legs, and then losing their tail as they became ickle biddy frogs. We were so protective over them! Makes me wonder if that's why I'd love to have a frog-aquarium.

I also reminisced about how we used to make our own little bows and arrows. We would choose branches from the lilac trees at the bottom of the garden, then spend the afternoon nicking the ends of the branch with a knife and peeling off the bark. For the arrows, a little cross would be carved into one of the ends and we would find bird feathers to poke into the cross. For the bow, we would get a piece of twine, nick both ends of the larger branches, then slide the twine into the nicks and tie it off. I loved doing all of that stuff, especially on sunny days when the air was thick with the scent of the lilac trees and it was just as warm in the shade as it was in the sun. It makes you wonder what has been lost with all the technology that clutters our lives now.

Anyway, back to the present. I received my result for TMA04 today. Another good'un, 82%. Yay me! And with TMA05 written (it's just sitting around wondering if it could be better. I'll leave it to fester over the weekend, and if I can't think of any changes I'll send it out on Monday) I can relax for a day or two. Woohoo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done,82% is a great mark.Glad you can chill for a few days.

I am still struggling a tad to be honest.Q1 i have pretty much done apart from the referencing problem.
Should be ok with Q2,well looking at the question it seems to be only part analysis of the painting bit it's the bit about the will of the individual...Not sure where to go with that.
And Q3 has me feeling depressed(pathetic i am it's only 200 words but i can find about ten!!!)

I was really looking forward to philosophy sections but have since realised it just is not me.Driving me bloody nuts,I am actually sweating with stress whilst typing this.What a silly boy.Enjoy your weekend.

Ally said...

I've only put two references in on Q1, one for my source on what a persistent minority is, and the other was a Neil MacCormick quote.

For Q2, I went here and here
and here and here to read up on the story of Socrates to give me a fuller idea of the story conveyed.
I looked up some colour symbolism, as I thought that was important. I only have five references for the Q2. That's all I think it needs.

I didn't use any references in Q3, as really that is just the conclusion and you are contrasting the info from the previous two questions and summing up what concerns you think they share: i.e. political obligation, morality and legality. That's how I see it, anyway.

Ally said...

Grrr, now I need to rewrite the conclusion because I think I've summed it up better in the last comment! Damn you! *smile*

Anonymous said...

Ha ,that has tickled me,sorry you have to redo your conclusion.Leave it alone and have a beutiful and relaxing weekend.

Thanks for the pointers,you are my secret tutor!

In fact I intend to drink a very cold pint of guiness tonight and raise a toast in your honour!

Ally said...

Daftie!

Well, I shall relax. The rewrite is done, and it does sound much better than the first conclusion. So, thank you for the virtual kick in the grey matter!

I may go and watch Ironman tonight. What better way to relax than with a Marvel comic adaptation for the silver screen.