Saturday, May 17, 2008

Crazy rabbit squirrel.

That's Principessa, running around like she's possessed.

Over the last few days I've had some books delivered and Principessa has entertained herself no end with the boxes the books came in. She has lined one of the boxes with bubblewrap. Once her box nest is ready, she jumps in, then grabs another box and puts it over her head. She has had more entertainment from these boxes that any of the toys she has. I'm thinking of just getting boxes for her for Christmas!

Aww, poor thing, she was so funny when she woke up this morning. She was really stressed because her nose was blocked and she couldn't breathe through it.

  • "Are you okay, gorgeous?" I asked.
  • "No," says Principessa, finger up nose. "There's a big snowball up there!"

I couldn't help but laugh!

I'm really enjoying the HoS part of my course. It is sooo interesting. I love the names of the societies; for instance, the British Association for the Advancement of Science. It's like reading Harry Potter and the different departments of the Ministry of Magic. Yes, I know. But small things and all that! Other than that, it is interesting to see how class, religion and social circumstance affected the development of science. And Mr. Wallace is such an interesting character.

Last night I read two essays: one by Wallace about the Amazonians, the other by Darwin about the Fuegians. There was an associated exercise that asked about how Wallace's and Darwin's attitudes differed, and which of the two was the evolutionist during the time of his encounter. Well. I have to say, I really don't like Darwin. His reaction to 'the savages', as he called them, was of distaste and abhorration, whereas Wallace looked upon them as he would any other civilisation, with interest and curiosity and he was completely unjudgemental. Well, that's how it seemed to me. As for the 'who was the evolutionist' question - the book said Darwin was, but I really thought Wallace was. But then, I suppose, Wallace looked upon the Amazonians as people and Darwin looked upon the Fuegians as little more than animals.

Another reason why I'm not liking Darwin so much is that he pussyfooted around, he didn't want to cause offence. At least Wallace took the leap and believed the things he believed in. I don't know whether that is good or bad - though at the time it was bad as it harmed his reputation as a scientist. Hmmm, thinking about this as I write this blog entry, I wonder if it is written in the coursebooks this was to get this reaction, or if it really is the truth of the matter. Will have to read some more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darwin does seem a bit of a pompous git to me.Think his background and old school tie shows in his attitudes to "savages"He seems more interested in his career than anything and played the game well.
Wallace is far more interesting and honest,although this was to his detriment in the long run.Think has ideas that all were equal and the Amazonians were no better or worse than us shows his politcal leanings.Or at least that is what I have put in my draft anyway!!really enjoying this block,my fav so far.

PS.noticed you had read Zen and... Have you read the follow up Lila-an inquiry into morals.It is one of my favs also along with Betty Blue(book not film)

Ally said...

No, not read Lila yet. I borrowed Zen, so I want to read that again. I think, at some point, I will buy both and just get lost in them. I really loved Zen.

I am really enjoying this block too. It really does feel like being immersed in a good novel! I can't believe you have done a draft already! I'm still feeling my way through at the moment!

Anonymous said...

Ha,have only got this far because I wimped out of tma05!

Ally said...

Yeah, you wuss! I'm still tweaking 05. I think I will be getting a sucky mark for this one.

Taking a break from studying for a coupla days. I think my brain needs a rest and I need to read something that doesn't require careful deconstruction!