Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Was size important to Socrates?

Firstly, as it completely slipped my mind yesterday:

Congratulations to Juliana and Chris on the birth of Samuel! I hope Patience is enthralled with her little brother and that you are all doing well.

TMA05 is really doing my head in now. I thought I had it wrapped up. It read OK, it seemed to have everything I wanted to say in some sort of coherent order. Still, something niggled. Something was missing. That something was the importance of the dimensions of the painting in conveying it's subject matter.

I have been ripping my hair out, so I have just added a bunch of ick at the end comparing the size of 'Socrates' to that of 'Horatii' and 'Brutus', and saying that the smaller picture was more intimate and wasn't as overwhelming in both size and forcing an idea. That's how I see it, anyway. If my interpretation is right is yet to be seen.

I seem to have hit a block with studying. I have been looking forward to the History of Science (HoS) block since starting the course. Unfortunately, the Religion section precedes it and I can't seem to get into the right head space to study it. This is completely putting me off going forward to the HoS section. I feel like I am being submerged in quicksand with no form of escape.

Well, off to watch the tennis (the rest of the Wawrinka vs Kiefer match). Principessa is bugging Nanny!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Ally,tma05 has done my head in completely!So much so I have decided to substitute it.Perhaps seems daft seeing I have studied the block but i honestly feel my tma would be a disaster!At least by substituting it will give me a higher mark overall.
Have started HoS and am really enjoying it.Quite a lot to get through and i haven't marshalled my thoughts yet or how to approach the tma.However I feel much more confident with this one,at least I can give it my best shot.
I think perhaps everyone is feeling a bit burnt out and jaded but suppose that is to be expected.I know others in my group are feeling the same.Keep plodding on I have every faith in you.

Ally said...

Aww, thanks! So are you ignoring the religion bit?

Anonymous said...

I am Ally,but maybe at my peril.I work in perhaps a strange way but I look at the actual tma and then start the block.I like to get an overall feel for things before i go into detail.Hopefully I will get time for the religion bit but completing thr tma is more important than enjoying and learning everything.I know that is a bit sad but i can go back to the bits I have missed at the end and amend if needs be.Once the tma is in its first draft I will look again but until i get to that stage I am in panic mode!!!

Ally said...

The only reason I asked was that I went to skip the religion part and just read the HoS bit, as I had decided that was the subject I would do for the TMA, but it started referring back to the religion part in the HoS section.

I, too, look at the question first. I have a post it note in the front of the Wallace book by Raby with the question on so that I can take notes from the book with the q in mind.

I think I shall go back to the HoS bit myself as it was completely intriguing. It's the religion part that is slowing me down, but I wanted a little grounding to understand the spirituality part of Wallace's ideology.