Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Persistent pain in the arse!

Still struggling with TMA05, though I think I have had a little bit of inspiration after giving the question and additional info another read through. I might even attempt a first draft today. I've got to get on with it, I only have another two weeks to get it done. Argh!

Still reading Un Lun Dun and enjoying it. It's taking a long time to read it because I am reading it after studying to help me relax and get to sleep. I just wish I could write the essay while I sleep so that I could sit and read some more fiction!

Well, I'm going into caffeine withdrawal (stopped drinking coffee again. Back to the fennel tea), so I'm off to fizzle out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ally,a light bulb has gone off in my head(a small one anyway!)
Wondering if you transpose Socrates actions into a modern society what would opinions be.he was seen as heroic and has become the subject of debate,paintings etc.Can't help thinking in todays world he,or they,would be seen as a fanatic or fundamentalist(look at peoples attitudes to muslims!)Seems we see a terroist under every bed,and even the local buther,baker,candelstick maker is looked upon with suspicion.
As for fennel tea,sounds a bit yuck.I keep going through phases of green tea trying to be healthy,but it's just not the same as good ole English tea!

Ally said...

Hmmm, I see what you're saying. Have a look here and I think your opinion might change. It might not, but I think it is interesting. It basically says that by choosing death he is neither cheating his beliefs or the beliefs and laws of Athens.

Anonymous said...

Ah,see your point.So he not fanatical rather the opposite,by conforming with the laws and ruling of the state.His death therefore becomes valid and the only way he can retain his beliefs without opposing the state.
Ps,just drafted Q1 and it seems difficult not to use large tracts of Neil Maccormicks ideas and reword them!

Ally said...

My trawling of the net helps :)

I've also managed to draft Q1, but managed not to use loads of Neil MacCormick's statements - I managed to get away with just one quote - by reading that part of the block through again and writing a load of bull in my own words, but using the ideas laid down in the book. I'll read through it later just to make sure that I haven't paraphrased in such a way that would be viewed as plagiaristic!

Going to finish the blockwork tonight (hopefully) so I can get on with the AH bit. This site was quite helpful in the AH respect.

Ally said...

Wow, I used managed a lot there, didn't I?