Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Louis XVI: Vampire or not?

So, last night I settled down to watch my Tuesday night supernatural drama - Moonlight. To give you a quick rundown of the series:

Main character is a bloke called Mick St. John. Turned into a vamp by his wife, Coraline, fifty years ago. Coraline wanted a family, so kidnapped a girl called Beth. When Mick found out, he rescued the girl and burnt his wife to a vampire crisp. Since then has looked out for Beth. Wife came back, but she was no longer a vamp. Mick gets all excited thinking there is a way back to humanity/mortality, but, wouldn't you know it, Coraline goes missing after being involved in a car crash, the cure for vampirism gone with her.

So, that's the summary. Anyway, last night's episode had me giggling by the end. A strange vamp turned up looking for Coraline. Mick, as usual, gets involved and discovers where Coraline is hiding out. It turns out that strange vamp is Coraline's brother, and that they were part of the French monarchy many years ago. Yep, you've guessed it, the Princes of the Blood! How I laughed! It was good how they used the idea of the guillotine and burning during the Revolution as a way to rid France of vampires though (even though the idea was not fully thought out. Just because the 'compound' stopped them from being found out as vamps would not have saved them from execution. If they had been captured by the Sans Coulottes and the other revolutionaries they would still have been killed for being nobility. Still, artistic license and all that jazz, I suppose). Still, made me laugh, the French monarchy being vamps and all. Nearly as good as the Doctor Who thing of the British Royal family being werewolves. But hmmm, ideas, ideas....

I finally managed to draft an answer to the first part of the next assignment yesterday. It's a load of poop. I'll leave it for a few days while I write the rest of the assignment, then go back and edit it. So today I have to do some research on iconography and symbolism in art. I need to find out if red was a symbol for liberty (I think I read that somewhere. At least I hope I did or I was having a very strange dream!), and the significance of an upturned hand. It should give me something to do, and I have firm ideas of what I want to write in the second and third parts of the assignment. I like it when I have plans, when I am not struggling so much.

Well, I shall be off now. Need to do my research and flesh out some plans for a Wire Cat.

No comments: