Tuesday, September 11, 2007

6 years ago today...

... I was next door, painting the front room white (it was a horrible shade of maroony red) with molotov Rob. We were happily going along, trying to give the horrible anaglypta wallpaper an even covering when my Dad came in and said, "There is no point carrying on, World War 3 is about to start." We turned on the TV and watched the destruction of the Twin Towers. Then we gave Rob a lift home, and all the radio stations were playing depressing music. I remember 'Everybody Hurts' by REM playing, and the streets seemed silent. The music was the only thing that could be heard. It was surreal. It's mad to think that was six years ago, and it's more insane to think of what has happened since.

But enough of that. The hospital appointment went as expected yesterday. Apart from being stuck there longer than expected. So, nothing new to report. I had to bribe Principessa with a trip to the bookshop so that she would behave while we waited.

At the bookshop, Principessa decided that what she needed was some flashcards. Good for her. I also bought a Neil Gaiman kids story - 'The Wolves In The Walls' ('tis very good) - and an updated Aesop's Fables (good bedtime reading for Principessa).

I thought I'd try to get an early night, but to no avail. Just as I started dropping off, a story that had been percolating in my brain finally decided it was ready. So I had to get up and write it, or risk losing it with myriad other stories and poems to the wicked far, far away land of Sieved Words and Phantom Musings.

Well, I'm off to finish said story and try to attempt calming Principessa down. Grandand has just left for the shops without her. Oh, joy!