Thursday, February 14, 2008

Surreal cartoon operatic duets.

Earlier today I was listening to the 'Là ci darem la mano' duet from Don Giovanni. Principessa had been watching Tom and Jerry and had left the DVD running, so while I listened I watched Tom and Jerry.

The duet is between Don Giovanni and Zerlina, and the Don is attempting to seduce her by flattery. With this in mind here is the description of the Tom and Jerry cartoon. Spike is asleep, but Jerry wants to be protected from Tom. To get to Jerry Tom has strung a steak to washing line, seducing Spike with the smell of the meat. So, both pieces now have a strange symmetry, but as the music goes on the rhythm of the cartoon followed the rhythm of the music. It was one of those fantastically surreal moments.

I have now written up the 300 words analysis for both the poetry and the painting. Now all I have to do is the analysis for the Mozart duet and the analysis of the philosophy. I have also had the first assignment back, and I did quite well on it. Happy, happy.

No comments: